Sonam Kapoor is a well-known Bollywood actress and fashion icon who has made a significant impact in the Indian film industry. In this article, we will explore Sonam Kapoor’s career in movies, take a peek into her personal life, and understand her financial success using simple and accessible language.
Get ready to dive into the world of this Bollywood sensation, appreciated not just for her acting but also for her unique style and social advocacy.
Table of Contents
Sonam Kapoor’s Details Table
|Date of Birth
|June 09, 1985
|37 years (as of 2022)
|Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Boyfriend / Affairs
|Sahir Berry (Model), Punit Malhotra (Film Director)
|Anand Ahuja (Entrepreneur)
|Date of Marriage
|May 8, 2018
|Place of Marriage
|Rockdale, Bandra, Mumbai
Her Early Life & Education
Sonam Kapoor, born on June 9, 1985, hails from a prominent Bollywood family. Her father, Anil Kapoor, a renowned actor and producer, is the founder of the Anil Kapoor Film Company. Sonam’s mother, Sunita, has a background in designing and modeling. In her family, she has a sister named Rhea, who is involved in film production, and a brother named Harshvardhan, also making his mark in the Bollywood industry. Additionally, Sonam has famous aunts in the form of actresses Sridevi and Mona Shourie.
Sonam’s early years were spent in Juhu, where her family moved when she was just a month old. She began her primary education at Arya Vidya Mandir School. During her school days, Sonam was known for her mischievous and carefree nature, often playfully bullying boys. She had a strong passion for sports and excelled in rugby and basketball. Her interests extended beyond athletics; she also delved into Latin Dance, Kathak, and Classical Music. Sonam holds her faith close, practicing Hinduism as part of her daily life.
Her journey of self-discovery began after her graduation. Sonam pursued her education at the United World College of South East Asia in Singapore, focusing on film and art during her pre-university years. Subsequently, she embarked on a BA program in Economics and Political Science at the University of East London. For reasons undisclosed, she returned to Mumbai and continued her studies via correspondence at the University of Mumbai. Throughout this academic journey, Sonam nurtured her aspirations of becoming a director and artist, setting her sights on a bright and creative future.
Sonam’s Bollywood Journey
Sonam Kapoor was born in Mumbai in 1985, the daughter of well-known Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor. Her journey in the film industry began as an assistant director on the film “Black” in 2005. She made her acting debut in “Saawariya” in 2007, but initial setbacks tested her resilience.
Despite her family’s deep roots in the film industry, Sonam faced substantial challenges in establishing herself as an actress. Her early films, such as “Saawariya,” “Delhi 6,” and “Players,” didn’t perform well at the box office. However, “Raanjhanaa” in 2013 marked a turning point in her career, earning her critical acclaim and showcasing her acting prowess.
Noteworthy Movie Roles
Following her breakthrough in “Raanjhanaa,” Sonam Kapoor embraced roles that demonstrated her versatility and talent. Her portrayal of Neerja Bhanot in “Neerja” in 2016 was a career-defining performance, earning her numerous awards and widespread praise. She also featured in “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo” in 2015, one of Bollywood’s most successful films, particularly among those with a female lead.
Here’s a list of some movies Sonam Kapoor got featured into:
- Saawariya (2007): Sonam made her Bollywood debut in this Indian romance film directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, starring alongside Ranbir Kapoor.
- Mausam (2011): Sonam was cast in this Indian romantic drama film, starring alongside Shahid Kapoor.
- Bombay Talkies (2013): Sonam featured in one of the short movies in this Indian anthology film.
- Raanjhanaa (2013): She played a role in this Indian Hindi-language romantic drama film alongside Dhanush.
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013): Sonam appeared in this Indian biographical sports drama film based on the life of Milkha Singh, with Farhan Akhtar as the lead actor.
- Khoobsurat (2014): Sonam played the lead in this romantic comedy-drama alongside Fawad Khan.
- Prem Ratan Dhan Payo (2015): Sonam was part of this Bollywood Hindi romantic drama film, sharing the screen with Salman Khan.
- Neerja (2016): She starred in this biographical thriller film, portraying the courageous flight attendant Neerja Bhanot.
- Sanju (2018): Sonam appeared in this Indian biographical film based on the life of actor Sanjay Dutt.
- Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga (2019): She played a role in this romantic comedy-drama film, collaborating with her real-life father, Anil Kapoor.
- Zoya Factor (2019): Sonam Kapoor featured in this Hindi romantic comedy film.
Personal Life and Relationships
Sonam Kapoor’s personal life has often been under the media spotlight. She is happily married to businessman Anand Ahuja. Kapoor’s openness and candor about her life experiences have kept the media and her fans deeply engaged in her personal relationships and journey.
Sonam Kapoor’s Net Worth
Sonam Kapoor’s net worth stands at approximately $18 million, a testament to her remarkable success in the world of Bollywood. Her wealth is derived from her acting career, brand endorsements, and successful business ventures. Her marriage to Anand Ahuja has also contributed to her financial stability and affluence.
|18 million USD
|5-7 Crore per film, 15 Crore per annum
|31 Shrinagar, 7th Road, JVPD Scheme, Mumbai – 400049
|Audi Q7, BMW 7 Series
A Style Icon and Philanthropist
Sonam Kapoor is well known for her work as a model in addition to her acting career. She sets trends in the business with her exquisite sense of style and clothing selections, and she actively uses her influence to support numerous brands.
Beyond the world of fashion, Kapoor is actively involved in charitable endeavors and supports topics like gender equality and breast cancer awareness.
- Sonam Kapoor has an official Instagram account with the username @sonamkapoor, where she has over 36.5 million followers. She posts pictures and videos of her personal and professional life, as well as her opinions on various topics. She also has a verified blue tick on her account.
- Sonam Kapoor also has an official Twitter account with the username @sonamakapoor, where she has over 13.4 million followers. She tweets about her work, social causes, current affairs, and other interests. She also has a verified blue tick on her account.
- Sonam Kapoor has an official Facebook page with the name Sonam Kapoor, where she has over 15 million likes. She shares updates on her projects, events, and endorsements. She also has a verified blue tick on her page.
- Sonam Kapoor also has a YouTube channel with the name Sonam Kapoor Ahuja, where she has over 1.6 million subscribers. She uploads videos on fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and travel. She also features her family and friends in some of her videos.
Sonam Kapoor’s journey in Bollywood has been a rollercoaster of ups and downs, a testament to her dedication and resilience. Her willingness to take on diverse roles and her commitment to social causes make her a multi-talented personality in the entertainment world. Her substantial net worth reflects not only her financial success but also the enduring impact she has made in the industry and society.